27 October 2013

Back to school.

The Herbstferien and associated lie-ins are a distant memory and I'm back to school. I've also been given a new timetable. Although I have kept some of my classes from last term there are a few new ones which is a challenge. In honesty, I'm so bored of constantly having to introduce myself. The school week was varied. The high point: introducing the topic 'A day out in London'. The low point: a class listening to me read a paragraph and guessing I had an American accent. Just no.
Outside of school I actually had a bit of success. I have joined a choir! It's called Ö Chor and is based in Hildesheim, about 2km from the Hauptbahnhof (yay). I walked it once but have decided never again so will have to investigate the bus services to Drispenstedt. It was however worth the walk. The choir members were lovely and amazing and so welcoming. We're talking giving me a round of applause for introducing myself in German levels of loveliness. I even got a lift home! Unsurprisingly the choir is preparing for a Christmas concert, featuring carols from around the world. I was very happy to discover that Ding Dong Merrily on High was amongst them... at least the pronunciation won't be an issue on that one!

Before you go on your year abroad, you are told to say yes to (almost) everything. And that is how I found myself at the 7d class sleepover in the school hall on Friday night. I didn't actually sleepover (devastatingly I don't have a sleeping bag) but I did go along to the buffet, meet the parents and stayed for the film. I will now share my favourite conversation of the evening, which occurred just after the film.
        Student: Are you going home now?
        Lucy: Ja.
        Student: Wahhh you can speak German!?!?!
        Lucy: Yes, I just watched a film with you in German...
General doziness aside I had a surprisingly fun evening.

After completely failing on the exploring front last weekend I was determined enough to set an alarm (never let it be said that I am not a dedicated explorer) and headed off to Celle. As you can see it is a very similar looking place to Hameln, Wölfenbuttel etc but that doesn't stop it being pretty. The half-timbered buildings were everywhere and it was market day so absolutely packed. I visited the Rathaus, Church and wandered around the assorted pretty streets for a while before going to the Schloss [palace]. I was confused by the ticket system so didn't go in beyond the courtyard but enjoyed a walk in the grounds (so autumnal!). Although pretty there wasn't that much to do in Celle so after a few hours I hopped back on the train to Hannover.

I'm not sure how many times I've been to Hannover but I still find it so confusing. Nevertheless, I bought myself a Christmas jumper from Primark and met Meadbh for the evening. As usual we found somewhere for affordable cocktails and had a catch up, resulting in me getting the last train home. But it was fun.

Sunday has been as inspired as usual. I've still got lemon drizzle cake left over from Tuesday (I made it so I could watch the Great British Bakeoff final with tea and cake) so I might finish off the week with more tea, more cake and Downton Abbey. Living the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment