3 November 2013

I don't know about you, but I'm feeling 21.

So that's it. I'm 21.

I had always expected the birthday to be a difficult day and it lived up to my expectations. I'd be lying if I said I didn't cry (I actually looked at how much the evening flight from Hannover to Heathrow was!) but despite my over-emotional-ness I had a lovely day. I stayed up until midnight to Skype the parents, George and Reubs. At this point I realised that for me it was my birthday but for everyone in England it wasn't yet... cue feeling a very long way from home.

Whilst not a typical birthday it was surprisingly good. The teachers gave me flowers and chocolates, I got a couple of little presents from my students and everyone was nice to me. I had cake in my flat by myself (fruit cake of course) and opened my pressies before heading into Hannover for the evening. Katy and Meadbh cooked roast dinner. There were even parsnips! We finished off with exceedingly lemony lemon drizzle cake. I ended up staying in Hannover for the entire weekend (it was sort of pre-planned).

On Friday evening we went out in Hannover, firstly to a Disney themed party and then to Steintor.  First night out since June. There was a distinct lack of sleep but the night was good apart from losing my coat (I have since got it back). After a pootling nothingyday on Saturday we met up with another couple of language assistants for cocktails in our favourite bar (aka the once with a litre for 10€). I eventually made it back to Badse on Sunday afternoon after an exhaustingly sociable weekend.

So the birthday was happy. I feel incredibly lucky to know such lovely people in both my English world and my German world. People who went to the effort of sending birthday cards (with long messages), people who cooked me dinner, people who left chocolate in my pigeon hole at school. I even got an email from my choir...


Simply amazing. So I'm going to finish this rather blog post by saying thank you for making my birthday wonderful.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE your blog layout!! I am in Valencia and going to Nice next semester!
    Following! :) ps happy belated birthday!

    www.hannahjenkins.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've just had a peek at your blog... very jealous. Valencia looks amazing. Oh and your blog has a brilliant name :)

      Delete