13 November 2013

Waffles and Truffles.

Where to begin. It's been an eventful week-and-a-bit (apologies for not blogging sooner... no real excuse).
1. I took my first ever lesson by myself! And then a second one the next day. Both went surprisingly well but I still don't want to be a teacher. I did however enjoy myself.
2. I am feeling German. I now imagine myself driving on the right hand side of the road. Slightly scared to drive when I go home for Christmas.
3. I went to Belgium.
Tyne Cot Cemetery
Time to elaborate on the whole 'going to Belgium thing'. On Thursday I woke up at 6am, had two lessons at school and then hopped on the train to Bruges. Obviously there isn't a direct train from Bad Salzdetfurth Solebad to Bruges, it was more of a Bad Salzdetfurth to Hildesheim, Hildesheim to Hannover, Hannover to Köln, Köln to Brussels, Brussels to Bruges sort of journey. The journey was beautifully straightforward; the German trains were actually all on time and the ICE hit 190km/h! I met Katherine in Brussels station, something which is easier said than done. We had slightly forgotten about the number of people going through Brussels station at rush hour to it took a while to meet up and then a bit longer to identify a train going to Bruges. Anyway, we arrived in Bruges, left the station and DID NOT RETREAT! Definitely progress on our Scandinavian adventure. Using the foolproof method of walking along the peripheral canal until we came across the right street we located our hostel. Yes. A pre-booked hostel. We were so proud of ourselves that we didn't question the lack of room lock, instead keeping everything safe by hiding it in the wardrobe.

After a wander into the Market Square and some exceedingly salty and ketchup-y chips it was time to sleep.
In Bruges
The sightseeing began the next day. We made the most of being able to afford things and understand how much they cost (love Euros), consuming the best hot chocolate, the best waffles in Bruges and a couple of truffles. In between all of this eating we visited an exhibition where you experienced Bruges in the Middle Ages, climbed the Belfry (366 steps) and went on a canal tour. The novelty of being able to eat something other than pastry continued, as we had an after-dinner waffle to share.

The following day began with more of the best hot chocolate and a wander round Bruges. We had waffle number three as lunch and then headed back to the station to travel to Ypres. The train to Ypres was not particularly successful. At Lichtervelde we ended up on the unannounced replacement bus service to Roeselare. Nope, I hadn't heard of them either. The next train only took us to Kortrijk which was lovely but not Ypres. An hour later we got the train to Ypres, arriving just before nightfall and in torrential rain. Undeterred we left the station (and did not retreat) and walked to the main square where we found the tourist information and Flanders Museum. We then walked all around the square trying to find our hotel. It turned out to be opposite the tourist information and we just hadn't noticed. Urgh. Due to the impending darkness we postponed our original plans and instead went to Ramparts Lille cemetery.

After tea we went to the Last Post. It was an unforgettable experience. Being at the ceremony on Saturday 9. November was even more poignant, as there were veterans and other military groups present. A bagpipe band filled the Menin Gate with sound as we waited for the ceremony to begin. I usually hate the noise of bagpipes, but in this setting they contributed to an incredible atmosphere. The crowd were silent, the wreaths were laid and the Last Post sounded. I don't know how to describe the feeling of being there, at that moment. Humbling. At the end of the ceremony we walked past the wreaths and into the memorial, past names and names and names. Overwhelming.
Ypres
The final day of the Belgian adventure began with an early start for Katherine and a lie-in for me. We enjoyed a lovely breakfast in the hotel (first ones down!) and went to the station to catch bus 94 to Tyne Cot Cemetery. This is the largest Commonwealth War Graves cemetery in the world (nearly 12 000 graves) and a reminder of the Battle of Passchendaele. There is also a memorial wall bearing the names of 35 000 servicemen whose bodies were not recovered or identified, a continuation of those inscribed on the Menin Gate. Incidentally the bus back to Ypres was at 11:11.

We made it back to Ypres in time to do two minutes silence on Remembrance Sunday standing next to the wreaths laid at the Menin Gate.

With a quick diversion made to buy waffles and truffles we went back to the station to begin the journey home. This began with an utterly bewildering train to Brussels. Bewildering because it seemed so unlikely that we would ever make it to Brussels. I then met Soufiane, a member of blablacar who was driving me (and a couple of other people) from Brussels to Hannover. Apprehensive doesn't quite cover it, but apparently this sort of thing is normal in Germany. To be fair the journey was fine and I made the last train home with five minutes to spare!

So, to conclude, Bruges and Ypres are amazing. Both places were really pretty, and being in Ypres on Remembrance Sunday is something I will never forget. On a less serious note, I still have no idea what a Belgian waffle is actually like. We ate four and they were all different. And on an even less serious note I have a story. I'm only typing it because Katherine won't forgive me if I don't:
In the hotel room in Ypres...
Lucy: Urgh why doesn't the wifi work. I've tried it loads of times and the stupid thing won't connect.
Katherine: That's weird, mine worked first time. I just typed the password and it was fine. Maybe make sure you're not capitalising the 'R' in Roger?
Lucy: Roger?!?! I'd been typing Nigel! .... I thought they were equivalent names!
Ten minutes later the laughter had not stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment