28 May 2014

"Are we allowed to hug you?"

My time working at IGS Bad Salzdetfurth is officially over. I cannot believe it. Nine months have absolutely flown by. I am sad to leave everyone behind, but it's much better that I'm sad about leaving because I've had such a lovely year than relieved that it's all over!
Today has been wonderful but strange. It began with a surprise leaving breakfast with 5c, complete with balloons and different types of rolls. I then had two free lessons before my final ever lesson at IGS Bad Salzdetfurth: 5b. I got to sit in the special chair (let's call it a throne) and we played loads of games, had amazing cake the pupils had baked and stayed in through break time. Upon leaving the classroom I discovered 5a waiting for me (my last lesson with them was on Monday but they didn't know/forgot I was leaving) with cards and chocolates. Awww. Just when I thought it was home time I was persuaded to watch the cup song and a dance performed by members of 5c. And then I got a hug overload.

And then it was over. I waited around at school to say goodbye Martin and the other teachers, before walking home trying desperately to protect my pressies from the torrential rain.

Language assistanting has been an amazing opportunity. Yes there have been moments of 'mehhh, I really don't want to go to school today' but there have been so many positive moments. When you finally convince pupils that they can do the exercise and they can do English. When they say 'hi' in the corridor and ask 'how are you?'. So what if the conversation stops there because they can't remember any more English. They are trying.

Today made me realise that my time here has been appreciated. I actually believe the pupils when they say they'll miss me. They have already tried talking me into coming back to visit, or to come on their school trips or just to live in Badse and stay at IGS for ever and ever. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment