26 February 2014

The six month anniversary

Today is a very special day: it is six months since I moved to Germany. The time has gone so so fast, but I think I'm making the most of it.

Some things haven't changed. There are still students who don't believe I am English. I am still the height of the average German 11 year old. And I still don't want to be a teacher (ooooh controversial). It might seem strange that I chose to work as a language assistant despite not wanting to be a teacher. I maintain that the only thing worse than standing up in front of a class and speaking is standing up in front of a class and speaking in their language, not your own. But it gets easier. And fortunately most of my students are absolutely lovely which makes it worthwhile. If this year doesn't make me more confident what will?!

But lots of things have changed. I have discovered just how much I love Germany. I know that I want to live here after university, for at least a couple of years. I feel completely at home in Bad Salzdetfurth, and have begun to realise how much I will miss it when I leave in three months. I am happy, settled and 'me' here. It feels like home in a way that Warwick never did.

The travel has been ridiculous. I've done an all-nighter in Sweden, booked a flight to an unknown destination and turned up to far too many countries without the right currency! I have gone from being a very organised traveller to happily bunging a jumper, purse and passport in a rucksack and going. I have the freedom to go where I want and be who I want.

I can understand why people say the year abroad is the best thing ever. No you can't share it with your family and friends from 'back home' but you can have an amazing time being you. For once I have time and money and am making the most of it. I am more independent than ever but appreciate my favourite people more than ever. I look forward Skyping home and having a chat over a cup of tea. In the surreal world that I currently live in I need a reminder that normality continues. And I look forward to writing my blog. It continually amazes me that people are interested in my life so thank you, all of you.

I have had so many wonderful experiences in the last few months and I cannot wait to live the next few.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post, Lucy!! You brave bunny!! You're my inspiration by the way, I love reading your blog, as I move to the Netherlands next week, and since finding your blog a few months ago, it has given me excitement and courage for my own adventure. I'm so glad you are happy and can make living away from your family but still keeping in touch successful! That is my biggest fear, the missing home part, but you show me in a realistic way that it can be done.

    So happy for you that you are kicking butt over there!

    Gem x
    Faded Windmills

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you for such a lovely comment :)

      This build up to moving is the worst bit. Once you arrive you will find that everything works out, trust me!

      Delete